Thursday, January 21, 2010

Hurricanes and ABBA...

Yes...I know...it's not hurricane season. I live in San Diego. Weather is a rarity here other than 80 degrees and sunny, but it's Winter here....and it's pretty rainy-stormy-windy-floody. This takes me back to Pensacola, Florida and being 8 years old. A hurricane suddenly changed direction and took our Navy Blue Angles town by surprise. Not that we should have been surprised. Unable to evacuate, we boarded up our windows. Electricity gone. Just candles, a multi-band radio for weather info, a portable 8-track player, and a deck of cards.


The wind was howling like a freight train, it sounded like death screaming to me, "Get your ass over here, die already, I'm busy and have places to go!" Well, I wasn't gonna oblige. In fact I was ignoring Him. Yes, it's a Him. For me, Death is a Him and Life is Her. Anyway...I was busy. Busy playing cards, playing "War". You know the card game right? Well if you don't, I'm not gonna explain it. *smile*


So I'm playing War, winning, and listening to ABBA's Greatest Hits, "S.O.S." is blasting...so right for this moment...perfect. Then, "Knowing Me, Knowing You". Then, "Fernando" and "Dancing Queen"...


S.O.S. - "So when you're near me, darling can't you hear me. SOS! The love you gave me, nothing else can save me. SOS! When you're gone (when you're gone). How can I even try to go on. When you're gone (when you're gone). Though I try how can I carry on..."


Fucking ABBA. I'm wondering if our house will get swept up, if this will be our last day. Forever entangled in my mind and heart. Near death and ABBA. Harsh weather and ABBA. 


ABBA! ABBA! ABBA!


"You seem so far away though you are standing near. You made me feel alive, but something died I fear. I really tried to make it out. I wish I understood. What happened to our love, it used to be so good." 



So good...so wrong. Twist me, tangle me. Take me away. Save me from Death my Holy Trinity of Swedish Lovelies!!!


I am safe when they're with me. Death cannot fucking touch me...



No comments:

Post a Comment